Tags & Segments
In this article we will go through what Tags and Segments are inside Rule and how to set them up inside the new interface of the platform.
We will go through:
1. What is the difference between Tags and Segments
- Tag=List of members. When you upload members to your Rule account, you have to put them in a "Tag". For example, when you download a file to your computer you usually name it something appropriate to understand what that file contains, it's the same in Rule when you upload members to your account and put them in a tag to categorize what kind of list it is.
- Segment= Further divide your customers. Segments are based on the data/information you have on your customers and members. This is usually customer data and information about your customers such as name, postcode, address, city, customer type, interest etc. and these are referred to as custom field.
2. Create tags
- Click on "Members"
- Then on "Tags"
Then click on "+ New tag" in the top right-hand corner
- Name your "Tag"
- Describe your "Tag", this is not mandatory, but we recommend doing it to have clarity and structure if you are more than one person in the account.
- Import Members
3. Create Segments
In this example, we will set up a segment to retrieve members who have not opened your latest campaigns!
- Click on "Members"
- Then on "Segment"
Then click on "+ New segment" in the top right corner
- Name your "Segment"
- Describe what your segment should do, this is not mandatory, but we recommend doing it to have clarity and structure if there are several people in the account.
- Choose which "Tags" this segment should be based on
- Choose "Regular segment" or"Combined segment", if you want to know what the difference is, you can read more about it here!
Let's set the rules for the segment!
- Choose whether you want to match "All" or "Some". All=The segment retrieves the values that match all the values. Any=one or any rule must match the member to be in the segment.
- Select a field, there is a dropdown with different options. In this case we chose "Campaign"
- Choose which campaign(s) you want to segment out
- Select has/has not
- Select "Opened the mail"
- Select number of days
- Here you have the possibility to add more rules for your segment.
- Check whether you want to include or exclude "Historical data".
- Click "Save and Sync" when you are done!