Segment - FAQ
In this article, we will go through common questions about segments. We recommend that you start reading about Segments if you are unsure about what they are or how to set up segments. If you have any other questions or encounter any problems, please contact supporten
We will go through the following:
- How do I exclude a segment from a mailing?
- How to copy segments
- Segment on blocked members
- How do I move a member to another segment?
- Why does the number of members in the segment not match?
- Exclude members in segments with a specific tag?
- How do I remove segments from customers?
1. How do I exclude a segment from a mailing?
To exclude a tag or segment, first type a minus sign before entering the tag name. Then the current tag will be highlighted in red and the members of that list will not receive the mailing, regardless of whether they are included in other tags.
Note that this must be done before a mailing is made, i.e. when a campaign is still in draft or scheduled form, for example, and cannot be changed afterwards.
2. How to copy segments?
If you want to be able to copy segments that you already have, with the same tags, the same rules, you can do it this way:
Once you are in the segment you want to copy, you can do the following
- Click on "Options"
- Then click on "Create copy"
Once the segment is copied and completed, you will find the copied segment under your segments, with the same name as the segment you copied with a "copy" at the end as you see in the picture below. You can change the name of the segment by going in and clicking on the name and then clicking on the check mark to save the new name of the segment.
3. Segment on blocked members
You can segment on blocked members in Rule, this means that you get more information about your members and can see if they have unsubscribed from mail campaigns, SMS campaigns, transactional SMS and transactional mail.
Enter the segments you want to segment on blocked members.
Click on "+ New rule"
- In the first field, select "Block", and in the second "equals".
- Then you choose settings, as you can see there are different options, choose the ones that suit you!
4. How do I move a member to another segment? For example, to another language segment?
For example, if a member wishes to receive the newsletter in English instead of Swedish, or if there is any other reason why you need to change a member's segment, follow the information below:
A spontaneous question that can emerge is; "Is it enough to change the language of the member to English? When the customer already has a different language registered ". The answer to that question is yes, it does.
- When you change the member's language from e.g. Swedish to English on the member's customer card, i.e. on language, the system recognizes this change and changes so that the member belongs to the other desired e.g. language segment.
- Another example is if you want to change the country the member is linked to via segments, you have to import the member again, with the new country data.
- Note that it is required that the segment you want to change to is created. Read more about how to create segments here.
- In order to then see the change of segment on the desired member, you need to save the segment again, i.e. go to segment and select the relevant segment, and click on save. This will update the member's customer card and you can see that the member now belongs to a different segment.
5. Why is the number of members in the segment not correct?
The segments in Rule are constantly updated - in the background. But it is not always shown in the interface how many members are included in the segment. The number you see, when you look at a segment, is the number it was when the last manual update (sync) was done.
This can sometimes create uncertainty: "Is it reasonable that I have so few customers in my segment?". But, as mentioned above, what your segment looks like in the interface does not necessarily correspond to how many members are actually in the segment.
The number of members in the segment is displayed updated in the interface when:
- You are creating your segment for the first time
- You enter a completed segment and press Save (this will update the number of members).
The number of members is not displayed in the interface when:
- You create a campaign and send it to a segment (you will see the updated number of members in the campaign summary in the step before you press send).
- An API call comes with a receiver that matches an Automation (in which case the individual recipient is immediately added to the filter but not displayed in the interface)
So you can rest assured that the segments are updated as they should be. And that if you want to know the current status of a specific segment, you can go into it and press the SAVE button - it will update and you can see the number.
6. Exclude members in segments with specific tags
A member can exist in several tags at the same time. For example, if you want to see all members that only exist in the BackInStock tag and not in CartInProgress, you can exclude these members in a segment. To do this, you create a segment as usual. And so you select the tags that the segment should be based on, in this case BackInStock, then you select the tag to exclude. To do that you type "-" (minus) before and select the tag.
The result of this segment will then only show members that are only in the BackInStock tag and not in CartInProgress.
7. How do I remove segments from customers?
It is not possible to remove segments from individual customers in the same way as the authorization by tag.
The reason is that segments are built on rules based on the membership data of each customer. Segments are created based on rules governed by customer behavior and its member data. See the example below where the filter is controlled after a completed purchase (OrderCreated) of a dress, which means that the customer gets the filter "Dresses" on them.
To adjust the member data, correct the customer's information from scratch in your database.
For more information about segments on individual customers, please describe your case to email@example.com and you will be helped.